• How long has your company been using EMTP-RV?
EMTP-RV has been used for two years now as part of my master research project with Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal.
• Where did you first hear about EMTP-RV?
During a university course on power system analysis.
• What initially attracted you to this software?
The capability to simulate very large scale networks with detailed models and the ease to build user-defined models.
• What were your initial intentions for using EMTP-RV?
As part of my master research project, it was to model and simulate transient events on rolling stock auxiliary systems, mainly overvoltage and overcurrent.
• Has your use of the software evolved since then?
It has been extended to primary power overcurrent protection studies with detailed models of the DC traction system.
• How do you see yourself using EMTP-RV in the future?
EMTP-RV could be used as a design tool for proper equipment sizing, architecture validation and protection analysis on both DC and AC systems.
EMTP-RV and your work:
• What was the EMTP-RV impact on your work?
It is used on a daily basis for modeling, simulation and analysis of power systems as part of my master research project.
• How did your company benefit from using EMTP-RV?
It is used to investigate new designs, new approaches and different transient phenomenon in rolling stock power systems. It reduces the necessity of engineering field testing.
• Can you describe a specific project in which EMTP-RV had a key contribution on study time and accuracy of results?
EMTP-RV has been used for degraded operation analysis and simulation results have been successfully compared to experimental measurements. Investigation on the solutions has been performed using EMTP-RV.
• Is there anything that EMTP-RV allows you to do that you could not do before?
It allows to keep a similar level of details for both transient and steady-state studies. It works well for both fast and slow front transients.